Seton Hall ranked sixth in applicant increase

Seton Hall was recently ranked sixth in the nation by MSN Money thanks in large part to an increase in applicants to the school. In the past five years, Seton Hall has experienced a massive 139.7 percent surge in the number of applicants, and according to Dr. Alyssa McCloud, the vice president for enrollment management, this is no coincidence. [caption id="attachment_24694" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Adrian Chavez/Staff Photographer[/caption] When asked via email what draws prospective students to Seton Hall, McCloud emphasized the unique connection of the faculty with the undergraduate students and the amount of acclaim from the media bringing more prospective students in. According to McCloud, Seton Hall receives a lot of acclaim for being the one of the top schools in the country for internships and return on investment. She also said the school was “blessed” by having our Business Leadership program ranked no.1 in the nation for four years in a row and having the radio station, WSOU, inducted into the Rock & Roll hall of fame. “I think all of these public recognitions have made more students take a look at Seton Hall and put us at the top of their list,” McCloud said. McCloud also credited the surge in applicants to the admission staff. “They work hard to spread the word and strive to provide excellent customer service, so this certainly has also helped us grow our applications,” McCloud said. According to McCloud, Seton Hall has had a 20 percent increase in undergraduate enrollment since 2012 and she said this is thanks to Seton Hall’s community. “When students come to open house or for a campus tour they see for themselves what a great community this is and how many opportunities await them,” she said. According to Seton Hall’s website the incoming class of 1,500 freshmen was the largest incoming class in the University’s history. Tara Mulia, a freshman business undecided international student, said “I had never heard of Seton Hall when I first applied.” Mulia explained that after she received advertisements in the mail she began to take notice of the opportunities available to her through scholarships and the Stillman School of Business. Mulia said she has enjoyed her time at Seton Hall so far saying, “I love the people I’m surround with especially the ones on my floor and the ones in class. Being an international student was difficult to adjust to at first but having a great community around me helps immensely.” Laura Kangas, a freshman political science major, said she came to Seton Hall for the scholarship opportunities. Kangas said she likes the friends she has made at Seton Hall. Luke Holbritter, a freshman business undecided major commented on his time at Seton Hall. “I believe Seton Hall has lived up to its reputation and more,” Holbritter said. Mia Page can be reached at mia.page@student.shu.edu.