SHU women's golf starts season with win

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="1280"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Junior Cassie Pantelas and freshman Lizzie Win locked in second and third place to help the Seton Hall women’s golf team win the team championship Monday at the William & Mary Invitational. This two-day tournament in Williamsburg, Va., marked the first outing for the Pirates in the 2016 season. On Sunday, the Pirates finished in second place while sitting four strokes behind Richmond. Among 63 individual golfers, Win tied for sixth with a 150 on the first day while playing in her first collegiate tournament of her career. The Pirate captain Pantelas sat one stroke behind Win with a 7-over-par totaling a 151 after two rounds, and freshman Maddie Sager finished the day tied with Pantelas. In past years this tournament was held on the Plantation Course but this time around it was held on Kingsmill’s River Course. It is known that this course has hosted a plethora of the world’s best PGA and LPGA tours and was recently reborn by architect Pete Dye. Seton Hall collectively shot 27-over-par with a 308-295-603 score to close out the first and second rounds on Sunday. Richmond led the tournament 23-over-par with a 304-295-599 to close out day one while the only Big East competition, Georgetown, positioned themselves one stroke behind the Pirates in third place. Junior Macky Fouse and freshman Sammie Staudt finished day one in 23rd and 31st place. The Pirates cruised past Richmond and Georgetown to a five-stroke victory, topping the Hoyas as they sat in second place. The Hoyas have finished second to the Pirates in the last three Big East Championships. Pantelas captured her third career top-5 finish after firing an even-par 72 in the final round of the tournament on Monday. She ended the tournament in second place with a 7-over-par, 78-73-72-223, one stroke behind William & Mary’s Katie Edelbut for the individual title. Sitting one stroke behind Pantelas was Win tied for third place, finishing the tournament with a 10-over-par, 77-74-234. Another notable top-ten finish was awarded to Sager. She notched 10th place with a 10-over-par, 77-74-75-226. Collectively, the Pirates finished 37-over-par with a 308-295-298-901 to top the ten other teams who competed in the two-day tournament You can catch the Pirates back in action as they travel to Piscataway, N.J., on Friday, Sept. 16, for the first of two rounds of golf at the Rutgers Invitational. Sedria Thomas can be reached at sedria.thomas@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Sedrea_Renee.