Photo via Seton Hall Athletics

Zavagli’s career-best leads women's golf to top ten in the Georgia State Invitational

Women’s golf had a successful run during the Georgia State Invitational at the Rivermont Golf Club in Johns Creek, GA, finishing eighth overall. The Pirates were led by Junior Ginevra Zavagli, who had a career performance at this week’s tournament. 

Zavagli ended with a career high 215 strokes across three rounds, ending one under par and keeping the Hall only +38 for the tournament. She fell just one stroke short of first place, which was taken by Stephany Kim of Boston College. Her lowest round for the tournament was a score of 70, making two birdies and 14 pars to finish two below par, though one stroke shy of her career-high of 69.

The Georgia State Invitational marked the first time Zavagli has finished a tournament under par. Sophomore Ana Sarrias followed, ending 13 over par over three rounds. Sarrias shot three birdies in her tournament-low third round, finishing with 73. Her score for the tournament was 229, the second-best for Seton Hall and tying her with five golfers to finish 40th. 

Senior Sarah Fouratt also shot 230 for the entire tournament, with a low score of 74 in the first round. Fouratt ended the tournament with a 46th place finish, tied with eight others. Senior Ludovica Bussetto shot 77 for all three rounds, ending with a respectable 231 strokes and finishing 55th overall.

Freshman Lara Todorovic had her career-low in the Georgia State Invitational, finishing  round three with only 77 strokes. Todorovic had 240 for the whole tournament, tying Hailey Tanis of Dayton University for 80th. Anne-Sofie Ekman, competing as an individual, rounded out the Hall’s golfers with an overall score of 243, and a tournament-low of 80 in both rounds one and two. 

As a team, the Hall had their best performance during round three, combining for 299 strokes. Overall, the Pirates went 302-302-299-902, falling right in the middle of the 16 colleges invited to the tournament. 

The Pirates are scheduled to attend the St. John’s Invitational from April 10th-11th at the St. Andrew’s Golf Club in New York, hosted by St. John’s University, and marks The Hall’s final regular season tournament. They are scheduled to play in the Big East Women’s Golf Championship at Riverton Pointe Golf & Country Club in Hardeeville, South Carolina from April 17th-19th.

Christian Hui can be reached at christian.hui@student.shu.edu.