Photo via Jess Delong

Hall Men’s Soccer Reaches Stalemate against Stony Brook, 0-0

Despite multiple scoring chances from both teams, Seton Hall ended their matchup against Stony Brook with a 0-0 tie on Oct. 3. 

The Pirates looked to bounce back after a 3-1 loss to No. 5 ranked University of Akron on Friday, while Stony Brook was looking to extend their winning streak to three games following convincing wins against St. Joseph’s and UNC Wilmington. 

Out of the gate, Stony Brook was aggressive, with six shots in the first 10 minutes, which forced Seton Hall graduate goalie Mats Roorda to make two saves during that window. 

“We were really on our front foot,” Pirates head coach Andreas Lindberg said. “But that also meant we exposed ourselves and gave Stony Brook a lot of space, and they were very difficult to deal with.”

Both teams ended up with three corner kicks during the first half.

Midway through the first half, graduate forward Andrea Borg dribbled the ball along the left side and had his eyes set on the box. A slide tackle came in, but no foul was called. 

“It’s an obvious penalty kick [in my eyes],” said Lindberg. “That’s a big mistake to make.”

The Pirates favored long passes to Borg throughout the first half, with Borg receiving multiple chances to use his speed to penetrate the defense. It worked well, as Stony Brook made a substitution in just the 22nd minute to account for him. 

The second half saw Pirate dominance on the offensive side. With their defensive gameplan in place from the start, the Hall was able to rack up shots steadily throughout the half. The Pirates added four more corner kicks to the three they tallied in the first half. 

In the end, it was not enough to change the score for either team, as both teams settled for a scoreless tie. Both teams each got one yellow card, with Pirate junior forward Tim Strobeck and Seawolves sophomore defender Jon Jelercic being the recipients.

Both teams will look to get back into the win column in conference play, as the Pirates travel to Pennsylvania to take on the Villanova Wildcats on Saturday, Oct. 7.

J.J. Misiewicz can be reached at john.misiewicz@student.shu.edu.