Photo via Seton Hall Athletics

Softball’s five game winning streak ends with loss to Stony Brook, 4-1

After winning both games of their double header against Monmouth, Seton Hall softball ventured to New York to face the Stony Brook Seawolves. 

Seton Hall scored a run in the top of the third inning, but it was matched by the Seawolves in the bottom of the third. The bats were quiet for the rest of the game and Seton Hall went on to lose 4-1 after seven innings. 

The beginning of the game went well for the Pirates. Senior Shelby Smith started in the circle for Seton Hall. She had a one-two-three first inning and although the bases were loaded in the second, she did not allow a run to score. 

In the top of the third inning, Kelsey Carr recorded the Pirates first hit of the afternoon doubling into left field. Outfielder Marisa Pla came in to pinch run for Carr and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt from Andrea Perez. In the next at-bat in the inning, junior Hannah Alexander grounded out, but picked up an RBI in the process as Pla came home. Seton Hall had its first and only lead of the game, 1-0. 

In the bottom of the third, Stony Brook answered. Outfielder Alicia Orosco bunted her way to first and advanced to second. After a groundout, Catherine Ann Kupinski doubled and brought Orosco home. Stony Brook equalized and didn’t look back.  

In the next inning, Naiah Ackerman hit an RBI single to give the Seawolves a 2-1 lead. The fifth inning was more of the same. Stony Brook scored two more runs making the score 4-1. The game finished that way and Seton Hall received its 11th loss of the year. 

Shelby Smith finished the game with four runs given up on 10 hits and eight strikeouts. Stony Brook’s Kupinski had two hits, three RBIs, and a run scored from a homerun. Seton Hall’s next game will be the first game of a three-game series against St. John’s. The series will start on Friday at 2 p.m. at Mike Sheppard Sr Field.

Louis Pasculli can be reached at louis.pasculli@student.shu.edu.