Men's soccer stays perfect at home with win over No. 13 Providence

Seton Hall men’s soccer continued their great start to the season with an impressive 2-1 victory over No. 13 Providence. With the win, they are now 5-0 on the season at Owen T. Carroll Field and 5-1-2 overall.  

MarinCover-1024x576

Goals

28’: Luis Garcia gave Providence a 1-0 lead. This was the first time this season that the Pirates went down to start a match. 

29’: James Boote found Luca Dahn off of a corner kick. Dahn was about 8 yards away from the goal and headed the ball perfectly into the upper right corner of the net.  

42’: JP Marin continued his hot form, scoring off of a lovely ball from Johannes Pex. This goal put Seton Hall up 2-1 and ultimately proved to be the game-winning goal.  

Breakdown

The Pirates continued their trend of starting games well in the first half despite falling behind to start this one. They responded immediately after going down to the Friars' opening goal and continued to dominate the shot statistics, taking six in first half compared to Providence's three. Additionally, Seton Hall took five corners while Providence didn't have one in the opening 45 minutes.

Providence freshman Brendan McSorley had a great chance to tie up the game in the 73rd minute. McSorley had some space in the box, but Andreas Nota came up big with the save to deny the Friars an equalizer. Behind another heroic performance from Nota and his back line, the Pirates were able to hold out their 2-1 lead for the win.

Andreas Nota recorded his fourth victory of the season as the Pirates improved their record to 5-1-2. James Boote continued to find success from corner kicks, as he now has three assists this season from the set piece.   

The Pirates return to action on Wednesday with an away game at St. John's. Seton Hall won the reverse fixture at home 1-0 to open the Big East regular season, but they are still in search of their first away win of the season.

Thomas Cugno can be reached at thomas.cugno@student.shu.edu. Follow him on Twitter @CugnoThomas.