Seton Hall rises six spots in U.S. News and World Report ranking

Seton Hall rose six spots in the 2021 annual ranking of colleges by U.S. News and World Report, rising from No. 139 to No. 133 on the publication's list of the best national universities.

The ranking, released on Monday, ties Seton Hall with Drexel University in Philadelphia, The New School in New York City, and several other universities.

DSC_0232-1024x683
Seton Hall University rose six places in U.S. News and World Report's annual national ranking of colleges. (Nicholas Kerr/Editor-in-Chief)

The six-place increase follows a 20-place drop from 119 in 2019’s rankings to 139 in 2020.

Princeton University continued to maintain its ranking as No. 1, just above Harvard in second place.

Nearby Rutgers-Newark scored just above Seton Hall, at 118, while Rutgers-New Brunswick is ranked at 63.

Montclair State University received a ranking of 176, and Rowan University was ranked 187.

Statistics U.S. News and World Report uses to measure institutions include student to faculty ratio, class size, and average loan debt of graduates, according to its website. The Report uses this data to weigh the value of various indicators of academic quality.

The ranking’s methodology weighs outcomes, expert opinions, faculty resources, financial resources, student excellence and alumni giving, according to the Report’s website.

The sum of the assigned values of these indicators is then converted to a score out of 100. Seton Hall’s overall score is 56 out of 100. 

The U.S. News and World Report has been ranking U.S. colleges and universities since 1983.

Daniel O’Connor can be reached at daniel.oconnor1@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @itsDanOConnor.