Dear seniors, your pain is valid

Hey, Pirates. It’s been a few weeks since we’ve touched base.

Voice-via-Needpix-1024x1024
Photo via Needpix

And what a few weeks it has been.

We had spring break and then immediately after that, we came back to classes and were sent home because of the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.

At first, it was announced that we’d be attending classes remotely for only a week, but now we will be doing online classes for the duration of the semester and graduation has been postponed. 

I wrote an article this week that had to do with how seniors were feeling in the midst of all their “lasts” being taken away. It was my goal to find enough voices from all majors and schools to paint our readers a picture of how Seton Hall seniors are feeling right now; I think I accomplished this goal.

Now, this is a message for all seniors: it’s okay that you are sad. It’s okay that you’re upset you will miss many of your last moments with your friends, as college students. It’s okay that you’re sad graduation has been postponed. It’s okay, despite what the people online and on social media are saying.

College seniors are intelligent enough to understand that the measures being taken to reduce the spread of coronavirus are for the best - that this is literally a matter of life and death. This doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed to be sad.

For many, the end of college is bittersweet. They are excited about starting their new lives and having new opportunities, but they wanted to experience all of their four years at Seton Hall. They want those four years to culminate in walking across that stage and having their name called out. This is normal and completely valid.

There is no monopoly on pain. One person’s experience does not negate another’s. We can all mourn the lives lost from this virus and also mourn the moments lost in college.

So, for Seton Hall’s Class of 2020, be sad. You have a right to be.

The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief.