Women’s Golf Finishes Third at Nittany Lion Invitational

The Seton Hall women’s golf team kicked off its fall season at the Nittany Lion Invitational hosted by Penn State over the weekend, finishing third out of 12 teams. The field included Seton Hall and the hosts, Penn State, as well as multiple other teams, two of which were New Jersey rival, Rutgers and Big East opposition Georgetown.

Through the first round of play Seton Hall was tied for third place with Rutgers at a score of 298. The Pirates were led by senior Maddie Sager who topped the tournament leaderboard shooting at 3-under-par, 69, in the first round. For the individual competition, Sammie Staudt finished the first round tied for third in the tournament shooting even on every hole finishing at par-72. By the end of the second round, Sager had retained her first place on the leaderboard, finishing the round at a score of 5-under-par. Sarah Fouratt and senior Carolina Ronchel Salas each finished with the only eagles on the team through the second round.

WGolf-92519-1024x576

Entering the third round on Sunday, the Pirates sat at 2nd place only behind UPenn, shooting at 7-over-par as a team. Three Seton Hall golfers placed in the top ten heading into the third round, Fouratt tied for eighth, Staudt in second, and Sager continuing her dominance in firstplace. Through the first nine holes, Ronchel Salas worked her way into the top 10 shooting at 1-under-par. Fouratt continued to play consistent through the first nine and finished at 2-under-par while climbing the leaderboard.

Staudt finished the tournament at 4-over-par and tied for fifth place with a total stoke count of 217, only three strokes behind the top-three golfers. Sager pushed to retain her first place ranking on the leaderboards, shooting at par through the first nine. She finished her tournament shooting at 3-over-par, 75, and tied for first as she capped off a great weekend of golf. She was tied with two other players at first, one of them being Fouratt, who shot a fantastic 4-under-par, 68, in the final round. Sager and Fouratt finished with a total count of 214 strokes over the 3 rounds played, which tied them at the top with High Point University’s Samantha Vodry. The Pirates played well as a team during the tournament and peaked at first place but earned a third place finish at the Nittany Lion Invitational.

Jacob Ford can be reached at Jacob.ford@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @JakeFord_5.