Pirates come up empty in doubleheader vs. St. John's

Seton Hall dropped both games of a doubleheader with St. John's on a rainy Saturday afternoon at Owen T. Caroll field, 2-1 and 6-3, respectively. The two-game set was also the last games at home for the eight seniors honored in the pregame ceremonies. Ricky DeVito got the start in the first game for the Pirates. Despite picking up the loss, the right-hander put together a quality start, going 5.2 innings without an earned run and striking out six. [caption id="attachment_23295" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Sean Barry/Staff Photographer[/caption] The Red Storm struck early with a leadoff triple by John Valente who came around to score on a double play later in the inning. That would be all the offense for both teams until the ninth inning, which saw both teams trade runs for a 2-1 St. John's victory. An Al Molina triple followed by a wild pitch proved to be the only offense for the Pirates in the first game. Game two of the doubleheader provided more offense for both teams.  Again, the Red Storm scored first with three runs through the first four innings. Despite the early deficit, the Pirates battled back on senior day. Fittingly, senior Ryan Ramiz knocked in three runs with a bases-clearing double to tie the game at three in the fourth. However, that would be all the Pirates could muster as they dropped the second game of the day 6-3. The two losses move the Pirates back into second place in the Big East with a 10-4 record, two games behind St. John's. Seton Hall will complete its regular season schedule with a three-game series at Georgetown starting on May 17. Nicholas Santoriello can be reached at nicholas.santoriello@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @NickSantoriello.