WSOU tunes into charity with food drive

WSOU 89.5 FM, Seton Hall’s student-run radio station continued their ongoing pledge to serve the community by participating in the “Students Change Hunger” for the fourth year. They collected more than 350 pounds of food for the Community Food Bank of New Jersey in December. [caption id="attachment_21311" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Kelsey Ferruggia (pictured) DJs her shift and as a part of the station, provides support for organizations through public service annoncements and interviews.
Adrian Chavez/Staff Photographer[/caption] WSOU’s involvement began when Seton Hall alumna, Laura Sodano, a recent retiree from the Community Foodbank of New Jersey and former member of WSOU, saw a need for today’s students to do something about hunger. Mark Maben, WSOU general manager, explained the station’s involvement in other community service endeavors. “Broadcasters have a decades-long tradition of supporting community events and charitable activities and WSOU is no exception,” Maben said. “There is a lot that a student-run station can do to make a difference and these activities are very much in keeping with the values of servant-leadership.” Maben said that the station continually supports charities and nonprofit organizations through public service announcements and on-air interviews. Frank Scafidi, WSOU’s chief engineer, described the experience of volunteering for the food drive. “I got involved because helping others is a big part of the Seton Hall mission and we don’t require, but we encourage, students to be a part of it,” Scafidi said. “The whole experience has been great every year. The students always prove us right when we say they are a great example of caring in this materialistic world.” The station plans to participate in the “Student Change Hunger” next year and strives to collect at least 895 pounds of food. Michelle Jansen, director of Schools and Community Outreach for the Community FoodBank of New Jersey, commented on her experience working with WSOU. She said she and her team appreciate WSOU’s dedication to giving back. “Working with WSOU always puts a smile on my face,” Jansen said. “WSOU has been a wonderful partner of the Community FoodBank of New Jersey for many years. They help to provide support for many of the programs that we run throughout the year. The team personally drops the food off at our facility each year and we are truly blessed to have the opportunity to work with WSOU.” Participation in the food drive is voluntary. The student station manager and staff representative always lead the food drive. However, students were asked to bring canned goods to station staff events, held periodically in an effort to encourage staff morale and overall unity. “The enthusiasm and help of the WSOU team in generating awareness of the hunger problem in N.J. as well as encouraging students to take action resulted in a large donation of foods and funds,” Jansen said. “We received more than $6,000 in monetary donations that will be used to provide meals for those in need. For every $1.00 donation, we are able to distribute three meals to those in need in our communities.” Rhania Kamel can be reached at rhania.kamel@student.shu.edu.