Catwalks to campus paths, SHU welcomes the Fashion Club

[caption id="attachment_12774" align="alignnone" width="211"]Cailee Valente Courtesy of Cailee Valente[/caption] The Fashion Club was approved by the Student Government Association (SGA) in November. So far, the club has nearly 80 members because of how the club got out the message of their formation through Facebook. Madison Schott, a sophomore mathematical finance and marketing major, is the president as well as co-founder of the club. “I’ve always wanted to start a Fashion Club on campus because it is something I really love, and the campus has no clubs supporting fashion,” Schott said. With the help of Cailee Valente, a sophomore business major and vice president of the Fashion Club, Schott decided to pursue her goal of establishing it. “This club has places for students in business, arts, and even communications majors. However, anyone with a love for fashion is welcome and highly encouraged to join,” Valente said. She also added that with Seton Hall’s convenient location in regards to New York City, they wanted to take advantage of the proximity and integrate some of the fashion world into their future careers. “The organization would also strive to develop career paths of those looking to work in the fashion industry someday. I want the organization to help grow skills that are important to possess in the industry as well as teach students how to network and get their name out there in such a competitive work field,” Schott said. “This organization would support Seton Hall University’s vision for a diverse and dynamic community.” Fashion is a very competitive industry so both Schott and Valente are working to help club members break into the field. “Madison and I are brothers of Alpha Kappa Psi, a professional business fraternity, so we want to use our business knowledge and connections and combine them with fashion,” Valente said. “Hopefully with this, we can help students achieve their goals of working in the fashion industry one day.” The club will feature several events, the first of which will be held at 8 p.m. on Jan. 25 in Jubilee Hall room 120. The event is an in-club networking event to allow students to get to know one another and become more informed about the organization over pizza and drinks. “Some of our main events include speakers from the industry, a blogging seminar, a ‘clothing swap’ fundraiser and a trip to a fashion museum in New York City,” Schott said. To learn more about the Fashion Club, contact Madison Schott at madison.schott@student.shu.edu and visit the club on Instagram @ fashionclubSHU. Sarah Auerbach can be reached at sarah.auerbach@student.shu.edu