As mediums rise in pop culture, SHU questions goodness, truth in their stories

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="378"] pragmaticobotsunite.com[/caption] Millions tune in to watch mediums reconnect people with their loved ones that have passed. Different television networks have shows which center on people connecting with loved ones who have passed. Theresa Caputo’s show, “Long Island Medium” on TLC and then there’s “Monica the Medium” which airs on Freeform a.k.a. ABC Family. According to Oprah’s website, Rebecca Rosen, a bestselling author and spiritual medium said a medium uses their psychic or intuitive abilities to see the past, present and future events of a person by tuning into the spirit energy surrounding that person. On Jan. 24 the E! Network is set to premier a new show called “Hollywood Medium.” According to E! website, the show has a similar storyline as other network shows centered around mediums, but only this show stars a medium whose clients consists of celebrities. Tyler Henry identifies himself as being clairvoyant which means he receives messages visually. Mediums are controversial figures and their abilities are often questioned as they use their supernatural abilities, but are entertaining to viewers. “I think that mediums are entertaining to watch, but it seems staged. I don’t think I would ever go to one, but it is interesting to see the type of people that would go on,” Cherish Carrillo, a junior international relations and diplomacy major, said. Television mediums usually disclose personal information about the deceased. These episodes presents an individual or family member’s emotional experience when losing a loved one. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church website, seeking advice from a medium is prohibited. Reverend Robert McLaughlin, director of campus ministry said that he might watch a show starring a medium keeping in mind that it is for entertainment. “The truth is there are people that can connect with the communion of saints. Unfortunately, people grieving sometimes are willing to look for ways to definitively communicate with the dead. The difficulty in that is a medium who may or may not have any ability to communicate with the dead is engaging in a conversation with the other side,” Rev. McLaughlin said. “The problem is that Satan also operates on the same plane. There would be no way of knowing if you are talking to a good spirit or a bad spirit. An evil spirit would want nothing more than to gain your trust by telling you what you want to hear,” Rev. McLaughlin said.   Margarita Williamson can be reached at margarita.williamson@student.shu.edu.