Seton Hall students participate in ACCU's video contest

The nation was put on pause when Pope Francis arrived in the United States on Sept. 22.  Every newscast, article and conversation included the pope’s visit and now, the Association of C and C++ Users (ACCU) wants to hear people’s views on the event. In a college-wide video contest, ACCU asks people to use their smartphones to make a video that captures their feelings towards recent events surrounding the pope. Meghan Tobin, a freshman communication studies major, said she is excited for the opportunity this contest presents to also earn money and have fun making a video. Submissions to the contest must fall into one of three categories which includes  the ways that a student and their campus is committed to the pope’s message of social justice and the activities and preparation which a student will partake in concerning the papal visit. Also, the ACCU will look at what the contestant finds the most memorable from the pope. The videos will be judged on content and originality which, must be three minutes. It is important to note that all the videos must be produced by students, not professionals, although some assistance from faculty is allowed. “I think it’s a nice opportunity for student to express their feelings and feelings,” Julie Trien, a freshman journalism and public relations major, said. ACCU also wants to know school you represent, requiring that you must incorporate the name of your university and encouraging you to dawn your blue and black gear in the video. Do not forget to add some Pirate Pride into your video! Once the video is completed, it must be uploaded to Dropbox.com or another file-sharing website with a notification of the upload to pmoore@accunet.org. The deadline for submission to the contest is Oct. 30. This contest is a fun and simple way to get your voice heard and let’s not forget about the prizes either. The first place winner will receive $500, second place winner will receive $250 and the third place winner will receive $100. Don’t miss out on your chance to win a cash prize and to put yourself and Seton Hall University on the map! Get out your life-sized Pope Francis cut outs and your SHU t-shirts and get rolling. Nicole Peregrina can be reached at nicole.peregrina@student.shu.edu