'Free Flick Fridays' an SAB success

[caption id="attachment_11321" align="alignnone" width="259"]Courtesy of Jenna Luis Courtesy of Jenna Luis[/caption] Seton Hall students can expect the Student Activities Board’s (SAB) Free Flick Fridays to continue in the warmth of the Main Lounge of the University Center when weather begins to act up, as opposed to the University Green, as the fall season approaches. Jenna Leis, a sophomore who is cinema chair of the Student Activities Board (SAB), said that the first film shown on the University Green during the fall 2015 semester, “Jurassic World,” on Sept. 25, was “a huge success,” drawing over 260 students, which is a Free Flick record. Leis was the first to coin the term “Free Flick Fridays” last year for SAB movie showings along with her co-chair at the time. Films screened during Free Flick Fridays are recently released popular films. “We receive movies from a company, Swank Motion Pictures,” Leis said. “They give us (a list) of titles that they will be receiving for the upcoming semester and the dates they estimate they will have them.” The SAB Cinema Board then selects films from this list. Seating in the Main Lounge is provided but when out on the Green, Leis said, students are required to bring their own towels or blankets. Leis said students who come to watch the films can enjoy a variety of free food, including waffles, ice cream, popcorn, or pizza bagels. Michelle Prizzi, sophomore anthropology major, attended a screening of one of “The Hunger Games” franchise movies. She said that she “enjoyed the camping-themed food” that was served to keep with the theme of the film. Surabi Janardhan, a sophomore biology major, said Free Flick Fridays are a fun idea. Students can be encouraged to attend films shown in the University Center with “pajamas, pillows, and blankets to make for a fun movie night,” Janardhan said. The next Free Flick Friday screening will be of “Minions” this Friday, Oct. 9 at 7 p.m. on the University Green, weather permitting. Noora Badwan can be reached at noora.badwan@student.shu.edu