Must-Haves for Memorial Day Weekend

[caption id="attachment_10370" align="alignnone" width="676"]Courtesy of boston-discovery-guide.com Courtesy of boston-discovery-guide.com[/caption] MDW. What do these three letters mean to you? To most, it doesn’t mean “major drift wood” or “miscellaneous dead whales.” It means much more. Aside from honoring the lives lost fighting for our country, Memorial Day Weekend has come to be the kickoff for summer. No matter what your Memorial Day plans are, there is a list of must-haves which await. If you’re going to the beach to simply get away then be sure to flaunt your stars and stripes on that swimsuit as you kick back, swim and tan. While lounging on a towel, make sure to keep your sunscreen lotion within arms reach. I know we’re all about that base tan, but we are certainly not about that sunburn so just in case, grab an aloe bottle to soothe any beach burns. Backyard barbeques can also grill up some fun in the sun, but if you’re the host then it’s up to you to bring the MDW spirit. Simple DIY crafts can help create an atmosphere of celebration like streamers and confetti. Add an all American feel to the festivities by putting red, white and blue rods with stars in mason jars. Heat, hype and hydration are three H’s that should be present in any amusement or water park during this holiday weekend. As you’re running to get to the coasters, slides and wave pool, be sure to drink lots of non-chlorinated water to avoid heat exhaustion. Of course there is no better way to show your American pride than to wear it. Therefore, grab those American flag printed sunglasses, bandanas, flannels and graphic tees for the holiday weekend. Make sure not to forget to celebrate with friends and family to make this summer’s kickoff your best yet. Michelle Foti can be reached at michelle.foti@student.shu.edu.