Spring break, not all fun and games

Stereotypical spring breaks are painted in the media as a wild week full of sunny beaches, scantily-clad people, debauchery – you name it. But what is the reality at Seton Hall? For Jessica Galati, a junior social work major, spring break means work. “I’m literally working at my internship the entire time and sleeping when I can,” said Galati. Amanda Payne, a senior sociology major, said that she has no plans other than playing in the pep band at the Big East Tournament. “My spring break will be spent relaxing for the beginning portion, then I will be going with the pep band to the men’s (basketball) Big East Tournament,” said Payne. Payne, who has been a drummer in the pep band since her freshman year, said that the Tournament has always fallen on spring break, so she has never taken advantage of the week to escape the cold. Galati cited the weather and costs for reasons of not indulging in a traditional spring break. “It’s too cold to go down the Shore or anything for a day trip,” Galati said. She added that she, and everyone she knows, has never taken a spring break trip. “I’ve never gone on a spring break vacation before,” Galati said. “I don’t even think I know anyone who’s gone on a norm (trip), like Disney or something.” Seton Hall offers several study abroad opportunities over spring break. Students can study literature in Ireland, business in India or Peru and Christian culture and history in Spain. These trips on average cost $3120 to $3700, including travel and some meals. More information can be found on the Seton Hall website. Tiffany Do can be reached at tiffany.do@student.shu.edu.