About giving back, not giving up

The Lent season began on Ash Wednesday and within these 40 days until Easter, Seton Hall University’s Division of Volunteer Efforts (DOVE) has organized a challenge of 40 Days of Lent with 40 Acts of Service. The purpose of the season revolves around the practice of prayer, fasting and almsgiving. It is through Lent, that people open their heart to others and obtain a greater understanding of gratitude. However, the DOVE challenge invites students to focus on giving more compared to giving up. Through this service, students are encouraged to give of themselves to others through acts of kindness. “Each year, the Division of Volunteer Efforts offers community service programs for the spring semester,” said Nicole Archibald, a sophomore program coordinator and office assistant for DOVE. “This is the first year that DOVE launched the 40 days of Lent challenge to renew the understanding of almsgiving and introduce an opportunity to give more during Lent.” DOVE’s 40 day challenge includes providing opportunities to serve elders, homeless, families, adults with special needs, the hungry, prisoners and others. The weekly challenges are published on the 40 Day DOVE Challenge Facebook site and students are able to sign up in Boland Hall. “There will be memorable moments for those who participate in Lenten service. Each volunteer experiences community service differently,” said Archibald. “By embracing those in need and engaging in the service, the volunteer will gain the most from the experience.” DOVE is committed to raise awareness so the University’s community becomes aware of social justice and involved in volunteering in order to selflessly help others. “I think it’s great for DOVE to provide service of giving to others rather than just having SOS,” said Nicole Pachner, a senior theology major. Nisha Desai can be reached at nisha.desai@student.shu.edu.