Trend alert: Bold design hits runway

New York City's Fall 2013 Fash­ion Week gives a glimpse of the trends we can expect to see for the upcoming seasons. Designers' fall collections made their debuts on the runway and it was easy to pick out interesting trends and ideas that are sure to be seen frequently once the weather gets warmer.

Ruffles were big on the runway during this Fashion Week. Over­done and girly, these cute and frilly waves were seen in many of the shows.

Bright colors are also in. De­signers featured outfits complete­ly composed of one solid color or at least shades of the same color. Whether they were fitted or loose, keeping colors similar was a very popular idea seen in Richard Chai and DKNY designs.

To step away from bright col­ors, designers featured many solid white ensembles with cutouts throughout. This fun new trend of­fers a lot of contrast to its colored counterparts. Pops of crimson red were also seen in large quantities, further enhancing the crispness of white.

If you are partial to stripes but are afraid of looking too nautical, do not be quick to ditch your fa­vorite items just yet. Designers used strips in addition to ruffles and leather to create interesting textures and overall visual appeal.

Derek Lam, Diane Von Fursten­berg and Tracy Reese all featured large, bold prints featuring heavy abstracts and colorful florals.

Finally, if you want to keep up with the trend, be sure to stock up on denim. From denim tops to dresses and the ever-loved jeans, denim pairings are everywhere.

Samantha Giedris can be reached at samantha.giedris@student.shu.edu.