Coverage of the Super Bowl not focused on the game

Is the Super Bowl even about the game anymore? Based on the coverage I have seen the past two weeks I find that hard to believe.

Every unwanted fact about each player is made into a story and ESPN just plays up any story they can think of that will draw ratings.

I have heard so much about the Harbaugh brothers that at this point I just don't care.

This past Tuesday during Media Day was an extreme example of this. The original purpose of this event was pro­ductive but it is now a side­show. The biggest stories to come from it were old stories, and a player stating his own glory.

Ray Lewis fielded ques­tions about his murder charges 13 years ago, which has al­ready been written about enough dur­ing this years' playoffs. The one meaning­ful thing during Media Day was the allegations of using antler spray as a PED.

Then there was Randy Moss, making headlines proclaiming that he was the best wide re­ceiver ever.

Yes that's right a player stat­ing how good he is was the story. Neither of these matter when it comes time to play on Sunday.

I know that two weeks is a lot of time to fill about just one game but it seems over the past few years the stories that are coming out leading up to the game are becoming more and more ridiculous and un­necessary.

Maybe it's just because I am getting older and have a bet­ter understanding of the news process but for me it is just too much.

It doesn't help that my inter­est in football has been dwin­dling over the past few years but when it comes Sunday the game is secondary.

I am more looking forward to getting together with my friends and having a good time. The Super Bowl is just an excuse for this.

Stephen Valenti is a senior journalism major from Lansdale, PA. He can be reached at stephan.valenti@student.shu.edu