SHU student hit by car off campus

Emily Donham, a junior nursing major, was hit by a car on Jan. 30 while crossing the intersection between Ward Place and Wilden Place at approximately 8 p.m.

Ward-Place-Wilden-Place-via-Google-Maps-1024x597
Photo via Google Maps

The driver was issued a summons for failing to yield to a pedestrian, according to Laurie Pine, director of media relations.

Donham told The Setonian that she was not hurt badly, but that she has bruises and scrapes on her right leg from where she was hit.

“I do think that the accident occurred because it was dark outside with no lighting,” Donham said, “However, I do still believe a driver is at fault no matter what because as a driver, one needs to be cognizant of the environment around them.”

This accident marks the third time in the 2019-2020 academic year that someone has been hit by a car just outside Seton Hall University’s campus.

In September, an unidentified female student was struck on Sept. 25 around 9:00 a.m. as she crossed South Orange Avenue to enter campus through the main entrance, the Farinella Gate.

The student was then transported to a local hospital. Then, just one day later, Seton Hall’s “dancing crossing guard” known for his lively dance moves and demeanor, was hit while directing traffic across South Orange Avenue in the same spot.

Students expressed concern at the time with the safety of that crosswalk, considering how quickly both those accidents occurred.

Patrick Linfante, associate vice president of Public Safety, said that the incident was not reported to Public Safety and was reported to the South Orange Police Department (SOPD).

Donham said that the driver immediately stopped after hitting her from her right side and accompanied her to the police station to file a report on the incident.

SOPD did not respond to The Setonian’s request for comment.

Isabel Soisson can be reached at isabel.soisson@student.shu.edu. Find her on Twitter @IsabelSoisson.