Photo by Emma Thumann.

AFAM protesters link arms, block South Orange and Ward gates

Africana Studies protestors have blocked off both the South Orange Avenue and Ward Avenue entrances this afternoon on campus.

They began a march at 3:00 p.m., protesting at the South Orange Avenue entrance, before splitting off to march towards the Ward Avenue entrance.

Protesters linked arms at both gates to block them off. “No one’s coming in or out, we won’t back down,” they chanted.

On Wednesday, a protest broke out in support of the University’s Africana Studies, with demands such as for the University to hire full-time faculty for the program. The only full-time faculty member, Dr. Kelly Harris, wrapped up his last semester in the fall of 2022.

One protester at Ward Avenue addressed the cars that were lining up to leave campus, saying they will not be able to leave unless they call University President Joseph Nyre or Provost Katia Passerini.

blocked gates 1.jpg

Protesters in support of AFAM address the growing line of cars trying to exit campus (photo by Emma Thumann)

“We’re not bothering anybody,” one driver said, “We just want to go home.”

At the South Orange Avenue gate, the protesters stretched across the street. The alternate road to enter Seton Hall was unblocked, so cars were still able to enter campus.

“Black and Brown will be around,” the protesters chanted, “We won’t back down.”

A Pirate Alert was sent at 4:30 p.m., announcing that both gates are currently closed. Those who want to exit campus can head to the parking deck, where Public Safety will direct them to an alternate exit.

Another Pirate Alert was sent around 5:30 p.m., announcing that SHUFLY service will only be available at the McNulty pedestrian gate. The SafeRide service "has been put on hold until further notice," the alert said.

blocked gates 3.jpg

Protesters at the Ward Avenue gate (photo by Emma Thumann).

This is a developing story. Check back soon for more updates.

Emma Thumann can be reached at emma.thumann@student.shu.edu.