Photo via Molly Cannon

Men’s Soccer not enough in Big East tournament loss to Creighton

Upon earning the number two seed in the Big East tournament, the men’s soccer team looked to reach the top of the conference again just as it did in the 2020 season.

Seton Hall found good looks throughout the first half, beginning with a corner kick at the 5:35 mark followed by a shot-on-goal from Mattias Almeida Sundell. James Boote and JP Marin attempted consecutive shots at the 10:53 and 13:28 marks, respectively, but could not get either to reach the back of the net.

A foul on Andrea Borg led to a penalty kick for Creighton, and Duncan McGuire connected on the first goal of the match in the 34th minute. This was the only score of the first half, giving the Hall hope heading into the break.

Creighton got back on the board early in the second half. McGuire scored once again in the 46th minute and earned his third goal of the night just ten minutes later off an assist from Jackson Castro. Despite notching the hat trick early on, McGuire was not finished and scored his game-high fourth goal off another assist from Castro.

Jackson Castro would find the back of the net himself in the 61st minute thanks to a good look from Giorgio Probo, marking the Blue Jays’ third goal in five minutes. Mark O’Neill capped the scoring with a goal off an assist from Luke Waters in the 76th minute. Seton Hall’s defense could not keep up, and their season ended with a 6-0 loss to Creighton.

Seton Hall will look to receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament on November 14th at 1:00pm following their departure from the Big East tournament.

Thomas Donnelly can be reached at thomas.donnelly@student.shu.edu. Find him on Twitter @_tommyd023