The Buccino Leadership Institute is Under New Leadership

Elizabeth V. Halpin, Dean of the School of Diplomacy and International Relations, became acting director of the Buccino Leadership Institute following the resignation of Dr. Bryan Price, former director and co-founder of the Institute. 

Halpin was a co-founder of the Institute. She did not speak on why Price left, but she said the Institute will not lose its course. 

“I hope to continue the legacy that Price and the University created,” Halpin said. “We are at a pivotal point this year, having finished developing a solid 4-year undergraduate program in 2021-2022. I would like to contribute to growing the Institute in this next phase, cementing its reputation internally and externally, building on the University’s strengths to focus on some niche areas of leadership development, supporting students’ passions and entrepreneurship, and making an impact on the larger community.” 

Halpin said a committee is selecting a new permanent Executive Director, expected to take over in January.

Catherine Jones, a freshman biology major and first year member of the Buccino Leadership Institute, showed support for the direction the Institute is headed toward. 

“This is an institute of leaders,” Jones said, “therefore, it is in the best hands.” 

Another freshman, Avery Slowey, a diplomacy major, said that she has confidence in the committee “to take the leadership Institute in the right direction.”

Kevin Espinal can be reached at kevin.espinal@student.shu.edu.