Photo by Oliver DeLeon | Intermittent Staff Photographer

Gun shots fired in South Orange, no injuries

An early morning shooting in a private residence in the Valley Street area left no injuries, the University said in an email sent to the Seton Hall community May 12 Thursday afternoon.

The incident, which took place a block from Ora Manor, involved Seton Hall students. Police say that two groups of students engaged in a "planned altercation" that led to one person firing three rounds of a handgun into the air.

Individuals were arrested for the shooting, according to police and the University.

A 27 year old participant turned himself in to law enforcement was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, possession pf a weapon for unlawful purpose, aggravated and simple assualt.

The South Orange Police called the shooting an “isolated incident” and says there is no risk to the Seton Hall community.

The University initially called the Village Green's report on the shooting took place near Ora Manor “incorrect” but then released another statement after being contacted by the newspaper with evidence from the South Orange police department.

"The health and safety of our campus community and our neighbors in South Orange are paramount, and we remain in communication with local law enforcement as the investigation of this matter continues. The University condemns violence of any kind and will take all neccessary action to enforce appropriate disciplinary measures," the University spokesperson said.

Amanda DeJesus can be reached at amanda.dejesus@student.shu.edu