Seton Hall Falls to Marquette, 3-1

Seton Hall Men’s soccer hosted another Big East rival before their short road trip this upcoming week. Marquette traveled to Owen T. Carroll Field on Friday to snap their four-game losing streak. 

Marquette got on the board first in this matchup. Edrey Caceres drew a free kick from about 15 yards outside the Pirate penalty area before he ultimately found the back of the net and gave the Golden Eagles a 1-0 lead in the 12th minute. The goal marked Caceres’s second of the season. Marquette would extend their hold on the game with a second goal in the 34th minute. Lukas Sunneson headed a pass in the box from Zyan Andrade and found his way around Andreas Nota to put Marquette ahead before the half, 2-0. 

Despite the Pirates first-half edge in shots and corner kicks, which sat at 11 to four and eight to zero, respectively, Seton Hall went into the second half down 2-0. This is only the second time this season where the Pirates have trailed after the first half. 

Midway through the second half, the Golden Eagles’ advantage on the Pirates grew once again in this match. Edrey Caceres found the back of the net for his second goal of the game off a cross from Zyan Andrade. Andrade’s setup for Caceres marked his second assist of the match as well. 

The Pirates did not come out of this game empty handed. As the game was concluding, Seton Hall broke down the Golden Eagles defense to cut the lead to two. Mans Saebbo cut the ball to Andrea Borg down the side of the field who went on to find Ian Albuquerque on a cross. Albuquerque got his head on the ball and put the Pirates on the board in the 90th minute, 3-1. Albuquerque’s last-second goal became the first of his sophomore year, while the assists for Saebbo and Borg were their respective firsts of the season. 

Seton Hall fell to the Marquette Golden Eagles, 3-1. The Pirates lead in shots at 17 to eight and corners at 10 to four was not enough for Marquette’s shots on goal, 5-2. The Hall looks past their two-game home skid to travel to the Bronx, where they will face a non-conference opponent in Fordham on Tuesday, September 28th at 7 pm.