The Seton Hall women’s tennis team concluded their season on Thursday at the Big East Championship with a 4-0 first-round loss to Butler.
The tenth-seeded Pirates fell to the seven seed Bulldogs as they were only able to round up four healthy players out of their nine-woman roster.
Butler took advantage of the Pirates’ short handedness by earning two points by default at No. 5 and No. 6 singles. In doubles play, sophomores Hiba El Khalifi and Aina Plana Ventosa walked away with a 6-3 win over Butler’s Delaney Schurhamer and Sara Linn at No. 2. The Bulldogs were able to secure the overall doubles point with a win at No. 1 and No. 3 by default.
In singles, Seton Hall had one-set leads at No. 2 and 4. Senior Minja Gligic took her first set at No. 2 singles over Bulldog grad student Lauren Padgett, 6-4, and El Khalifi took her first set at No. 4 over Linn, 6-4, but they were unable to complete wins as Butler clinched the 4-0 result when Schurhamer defeated Plana Ventosa at No. 3 singles, 6-1, 6-1.
Doubles (Order of Finish 3, 2, 1)
1. Natalie Boesing/Lauren Marx (BU) def. Arina Gumerova/Minja Gligic (SHU) 6-3
2. Aina Plana Ventosa/Hiba El Khalifi (SHU) def. Delaney Schurhamer/Sara Linn 6-3
3. Lauren Padgett/Veronika Bruetting (BU) by default
Singles (Order of Finish 5, 6, 3)
1. Natalie Boesing (BU) led Arina Gumerova (SHU) 6-4, 1-1
2. Minja Gligic (SHU) led Lauren Padgett (BU) 6-4, 1-2
3. Delaney Schurhamer (BU) def. Aina Plana Ventosa (SHU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Hiba El Khalifi (SHU) led Sara Linn (BU) 6-4, 0-2
5. Hallie Leblebijian (BU) by default
6. Lauren Marx (BU) by default