Women's soccer concede five in away loss at UConn

The Seton Hall women’s soccer team lost to the University of Connecticut 5-0 on Sunday, dropping to 1-4 on the season and 0-4 in Big East play.

BO0A5135-1024x575

UConn dominated possession in the first 15 minutes of the game and struck first in the 19th minute through a free kick. Senior Kess Elmore got on the end of a free kick from sophomore Jacqueline Harnett to give the Huskies the lead.

Sophomore Jessica Mazo doubled UConn's lead after tucking away a loose ball after freshman Jada Konte’s shot hit the crossbar in the 30th minute. UConn took that 2-0 lead into half time, but it didn't take long into the second for them to add a third.

In the 53rd minute, sophomore Cara Jordan’s shot produced a rebound that was finished by Mazo, extending the Huskies' lead to 3-0. Junior Kara Long then played a through ball in the 58th minute to find a wide open Yamilee Eveillard for an easy finish to make it 4-0 UConn.

Isabelle Lynch recorded her first goal of the year in the 84th minute, bringing the score to 5-0.

Sophomore goalkeeper Grace Gordon tallied a career best eight saves and the Pirates sent 10 shots towards the UConn net.

Seniors Laura Hooper and Cassy Harrigan tied for the team lead with three shots apiece, and two of Hooper’s shots were on goal. Abbie Roberts, Emily Arellano, and Dani Brinckman all played the full 90 minutes.

Seton Hall will return to action on the road at Villanova on Thursday.

Jenna Powell can be reached at jenna.powell@student.shu.edu. Follow her on Twitter @jennap0well.