Women’s basketball team pauses activities after positive COVID-19 tests; will delay start of season

The Seton Hall women's basketball program postponed its first two Big East games of the year following positive COVID-19 test results among "Tier 1" team personnel on Nov. 20, according to a release from the athletic department.

The Pirates were scheduled to play at Butler on Dec. 4 then host the University of Connecticut on Dec. 6 at the Walsh Gymnasium. Their three tune-up games against Rider, Saint Peter's and Fairfield were all canceled upon notification of the positive tests within the team.

Given the mandatory 14-day quarantine period, the women's basketball team is tentatively scheduled to open their season with a non-conference match at home against Wagner on Dec. 11.

November 20

The Seton Hall women’s basketball program has paused all team activities and canceled their first three games of the season due to positive COVID-19 tests, according to a release from the athletic department.

The announcement came Friday evening after multiple positive tests among “Tier 1” team personnel. Tier 1 personnel are comprised of student-athletes, coaches and staff.

According to NCAA recommendations and Big East protocol, the team must quarantine for 14 days before they can resume team activities, forcing the Pirates to cancel their first three games of the season. The team will not be able to start up again until Dec. 3.

2-Photo-via-SHU-Athletics-1024x576
The women's basketball team will have to cancel the first three games of their season after three people affiliated with the team tested positive for COVID-19. (Photo courtesy of SHU Athletics)

Seton Hall was set to open against Rider on Nov. 25, Saint Peter’s on Nov. 28, and Fairfield on Nov. 30. The three matchups, all scheduled to take place at Walsh Gymnasium on Seton Hall’s campus in South Orange, have been scratched from the schedule.

This comes nine days after the men’s basketball team had a COVID-19 outbreak and Seton Hall pivoted to remote learning for the rest of the fall semester. The Pirates are one of 20 programs nationally to have an outbreak, including six in the Big East Conference.

In a statement, coach Anthony Bozzella said, “As we all struggle through this unprecedented year, we are often reminded of what is most important. For us, without question, it’s the health of these remarkable young women, my staff and managers.

“Certainly, we’re disappointed to not start the season on time, but basketball is an afterthought when it comes to this virus. Through tribulation comes strength, and hopefully we can emerge stronger as a unit once we’re able to take the floor again.”

The Pirates’ first game is scheduled for Dec. 4 against Butler in Indianapolis.

Brendan Balsamo can be reached at brendan.balsamo@student.shu.edu. Follow him on Twitter @brenbal.