Apple’s iOS 14 update brings new features to iPhones

Apple released the iOS 14 software update on Sept. 16, bringing a fresh new look with novel features to the iPhone.

image-9-785x1024
Photo Courtesy of Apple Inc.

Apple’s goal was for the update to “reimagine the most iconic parts of the experience to be even more helpful and personal.” Some Seton Hall students said they had anticipated the release for a while. 

Sophia Rotchford, a freshman sports management major, said she likes the “Picture in Picture” mode when using FaceTime. 

When watching or viewing something on a device, users no longer have to pause what they are doing if they want to go on a different app. “Picture in Picture” mode allows a small window to pop up in the corner of the screen so that the user can continue watching while browsing other apps. 

“I like how when you’re on FaceTime, you can go off FaceTime, but it’s not on pause,” Rotchford said. 

Orion Samuels, a freshman biology major, said the customization of her home screen is her favorite feature. This process is done by adding different widgets and changing app icons. 

“I think it’s really cool that you can change the icon for your apps and make it whatever pictures you want,” Samuels said. “It gives it a nice aesthetic.”

Others said they feel that the process to give your screen a pleasing aesthetic, as Samuels describes, takes a while to produce. Jessica Czuba, a freshman social work major, said it does take a while to get everything organized. 

“I don’t like the fact that it's really difficult, and I don’t understand it,” Czuba said. 

Other popular features include an app library that organizes all apps into one view sorted by category and a built-in translation app. 

“CarKeys” allows users to unlock their cars simply by going to the Wallet app. This feature works up to five hours after a user’s phone dies and offers the option to share and manage one’s keys with friends and family members.

Within the Messages app, users can now pin important messages at the top of the app to easily access them. In addition, when in group chats, users can mention a person in the text and can also reply directly to a certain message.

Other new additions include new cycling directions for bikers, electric vehicle routing in maps and new Memoji styles and stickers. Apple also incorporated guides, which offer places to visit, eat, shop and explore around the world, and a compact Siri design that allows users to use Siri without taking up the whole screen.

iOS 14 is compatible with iPhone 6s and newer models. Users can download the new update by going to “Settings,” opening up the “General” tab and downloading “Software Update.”Courtney Campbell can be reached at courtney.campbell@student.shu.edu.