Reszkowski lifts Pirates with late free kick

The Seton Hall women’s soccer team brought home its first in of the year on Thursday, narrowly taking down Lafayette by a final score of 1-0. 

In the early stages, Lafayette wasted no time attacking, as it began the game with a shot in the first 20 seconds. During the 15th minute, Lafayette threatened again with two consecutive shots, but both shots were off the mark. A minute later, Cassy Harrigan picked up the only yellow of the game.  

During the 19th minute the Pirates took their first shots of the game, both of which were by Marissa Aniolowski, but each missed the net. Saga Sigurdardottir recorded the Pirates’ next two shots, but once again Seton Hall could not connect on a goal. Izzy Engel recorded two more shot attempts before the first half ended with no score. The Pirates recorded six shots, while Lafayette recorded five. The Pirates also committed an astounding nine fouls compared to Lafayette’s one. 

WSOC-83019-1024x576

The Pirates began the second half strong with a shot on goal in the 48th minute by Harrigan but to no avail on the scoresheet. The Pirates continued their onslaught of shots with three of them, courtesy of Engel, Harrigan, and Laura Hooper. A few minutes later, Aniolowski and Harrigan both fired shots that Lafayette’s goalie saved. Both teams just continued to exchange fouls and shots and not seeming to give an inch, but the Pirates were slowly putting more pressure on Lafayette’s goalie.  

After a missed shot from Lafayette in the 78th minute, the Leopards also committed a foul that set up a free kick from Seton Hall. Off that free kick, the Pirates finally struck gold and scored in the 80th minute, courtesy of Alyssa Reszkowski. She tried to score another one a minute later, but that one was saved. The Pirates ultimately held their ground for the rest of the game. 

The Pirates next game will be Sept. 2 at state rival Monmouth. Kickoff is scheduled for 6pm. 

Joseph Ippolito can be reached at joseph.ippolito@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @joeippy.