Softball’s high batting averages spark winning ways

As the Seton Hall softball team looks ahead to series against Georgetown and Creighton to end the season, it will turn toward its fearless leader on the mound, Reganne Camp, for support.

Camp has been an absolute workhorse for the Pirates so far this season. Whether it be starting a game or closing one out, Camp has been consistently called upon by head coach Paige Smith to shut down the opposition. In being called upon so often, Camp has been far and away the leader in most categories for pitching on the season.

Camp has appeared in 29 games for Seton Hall, and she has started in 18. In those games, she has gone the distance in two of them.

15-softball-Renee-Nunez-1024x683

Reganne Camp is the undisputed ace for Seton Hall softball. Renee Nunez/Staff Photographer

So far on the season, Camp has a record of 8-10, and the Pirates are 20-22. Despite a negative record, Camp has been dealing for a majority of the year and has always given the team a chance to win when she is on the mound.

For Seton Hall pitchers, Camp is leading in nearly all statistics. As of April 24, the most staggering one is innings pitched, as Camp was at 106 innings on the season. The next highest, Madison Strunk, was at 51 innings, which is less than half of Camp’s workload. If you were to combine Chrisa Head’s 44.1 innings with Strunk’s stats, it would still not surpass Camp. In total, Camp has pitched 40 percent of the team’s innings thus far.

Even with playing so much, Camp’s other statistics are not inflated. She is handling the workload extremely well thus far, and it goes to show that it will likely continue for the rest of the season.

It is especially impressive given that Camp has kept this up on a year-to-year pace. Despite this season seeming like a lot of work, Camp actually pitched more in 2018, going 155.1 innings, good enough for nearly 43 percent of the team’s total innings.

In her work, Camp has struck out 106 batters in 2019 and has only given up 116 hits. Her ERA hovers at 4.09, not elite by any standards, but impressive given the body of work put forth. Further, of the 79 runs which Camp has given up, only 62 have been earned.

Her WHIP, or walks plus hits per inning pitched, is also low. As of heading into the doubleheader on April 24, Camp’s WHIP sits at 1.58. This mark is also good for best on the team. The team average in this category is 1.72.

Camp has also done an excellent job in keeping the ball inside the park this season. She has given up 12 home runs, which is only at a rate of almost one every nine innings. The Pirates will need Camp to remain on fire for the rest of the season if they want to see success. She has proven to be the ace of the staff and it is imperative that she maintains her current rates, but, at the present moment, that does not appear to be an issue.

Kevin Kopf can be reached at kevin.kopf@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @KMKTNF.