Sager propels women’s golf to second place finish over weekend

The Seton Hall women’s golf team opened its spring season finishing in second at the 2019 Rio Verde Invitational on Feb. 24.  They competed among a field of 18 teams that also featured Big East rivals Xavier.

The invitational was initially postponed on Friday due to a local storm, so the tournament took place later in the weekend with only two rounds of action.

The Pirates were able to tie for the best second round score with an 8-over-par, 292, with rivals Xavier. Xavier finished in first with a 23-over-par, 299-292- 591. The Pirates still were able to jump three spots in the final standings with the strong second round performance. They finished with a 26-over-par, 302-292-594, only three strokes shot of Xavier.

IMG_3137-1024x576

Maddie Sager came up clutch for the Pirates as she fired a 1-under-par, 70, that clinched the second place finish. She tied for the 13th among 101 individual golfers with a 7-over-par, 79-70-149.

The Pirates also had two top-10 finishes with Lizzie Win and Carolina Ronchel Salas both tied for eighth place overall. Win and Ronchel Salas both shot a 6-over-par, 73-75-148, one stroke better than Sager. 

Salas’ eighth place finish was also her second career top-10 finish as a Pirate. Mia Kness also came out big, tying Sager with at 13th place with a 7-over-par, 75-74-149.

The Seton Hall women’s golf team will next compete at the River Landing Classic in Wallace, N.C., from March 4 to 5.

Ryan Beltran can be contacted at Ryan.Beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011.