Know More seeks new generation of peer educators

Know More is a student and administrative partnership organization that spreads awareness about drug abuse, alcohol abuse and sexual violence at Seton Hall. [caption id="attachment_24805" align="alignnone" width="1125"] Photo courtesy of Julia Hussey[/caption] Julia Hussey, a junior occupational therapy major and the club’s president, said the program runs educational workshops on these topics and makes them fun and interactive and does not use a lecture style form of educating students. She said the program partners with Greek Life every year to talk about drugs and alcohol. This semester, Know More is working on selecting peer educators, Hussey said. These educators would facilitate events on the issues that Know More discusses. She said these educators would also be trained on how to handle crisis and defer struggling students to the appropriate professionals. The educators use a nationally-recognized training platform upon the approval of their application, she said. Nicole Giglia, the club’s adviser, said that studies have shown that students are more likely to respond to educational events if they are being facilitated by fellow students. “Know More has been able to bring important education to the Seton Hall Community,” Giglia said. Giglia said that Know More provides information through campaigns, lessons in University Life classes, escalation workshops and an online tutorial that incoming students take. Hussey said she found out about Know More at an involvement fair. “This is something that hit close to home personally, as people in my family struggle with addiction, and I wanted to use this program as a platform to talk to students and educate them on drug and alcohol use,” Hussey said. Hussey said that her favorite event that Know More puts on is the culmination of the events that make up sexual assault awareness month in April. She said she enjoys this month because the SHU communities really come together and unite to raise awareness about this issue. Hussey said she wants to set up Know More now so that when the current students who are putting so much work into the program graduate, Know More continues to live on at SHU. Brandon Byrne, a sophomore business management major, said he found out about the program through one of their tabling events. Byrne said that he started going to meetings and that it seemed like a great organization to be a part of. “I feel like I’m more open to talk about these issues based on my experience with Know More,” Byrne said. Byrne said that simply educating students on these issues has been the most memorable thing for him. He said he wants to see the program grow. Veronica Gaspa can be reached at veronica.gaspa@student.shu.edu.