Dr. Karen Boroff wins 2018 Curtis E. Tate Jr. Award

Seton Hall interim provost, Karen Boroff has received the 2018 Curtis E. Tate Jr. Award from the North American Case Research Association for co-authoring the “Incident in Kabul Case.” Boroff expressed that the power of collaboration, along with the integration of research has come along with this award as a personal gain. [caption id="attachment_19611" align="aligncenter" width="683"] File photo[/caption] Boroff recalled her time co-authoring the case and everything that went into it from her time at the United States Military Academy. “While there, I had the opportunity to co-author a chapter in a text book on conflict management with a fellow colleague in the department, Major Matt Pratt, for these cadets,” Boroff said. Boroff then goes into explaining what went into starting the co-authoring of the case. “At the time our joint venture began, we were striving to transform the theories of the conflict management process to actual application,” Boroff said. “As the case was being reviewed, my colleagues in the School of Diplomacy believed the case could be well applicable to their disciplines, as well as those in management.” Boroff began working on the case back in the spring of 2016. After the beginnings of the case, it was presented to the North American Case Research Association to receive feedback. The feedback was then incorporated into the case and then published late 2017, Boroff said. The North American Case Research Association awarded Boroff the award for her co-authoring of the Incident in Kabul Case. The North American Case Research Association is an association that gives scholars advice and counsel on how to write cases and instructor manuals for student learning enhancement, Boroff said. “Scholars have wrote cases based on many different fields including business, French, Spanish and more." Last year, a Stillman Business student presented his own case to the North American Case Research Association as well. This student was actually Boroff’s student as well. Elizabeth Rodriguez can be reached at elizabeth.rodriguez@student.shu.edu.