Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.

Pirates draw with Blue Demons

The Seton Hall men’s soccer team drew, 1-1, with DePaul University on Saturday afternoon. The result moves the Pirates to 4-3-2, as they were coming off a tough loss to Creighton University. The beginning of the game was a defensive stalemate, as each team’s offense struggled to get shots. Each team was equally physical in the first 18 minutes as well, with DePaul receiving five fouls and Seton Hall receiving one. Seton Hall’s earliest chance cam from Tomas Greco, as he was able to test DePaul’s goalkeeper with a shot in the 4th minute. [caption id="attachment_24431" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Later in the half, Seton Hall’s JP Marin got hit in the chest with the ball and was still subbed out for Francisco Alderete. The fresh Alderete would make an immediate impact as he split three defenders to score and give the Pirates a 1-0 lead. The Pirates dominated the end of the half, producing seven shots compared to DePaul’s two shots. Unlike the first half, the second half began at a much quicker pace. In the 58th minute, DePaul’s Zach El-Shafei snuck a ball past Andreas Nota to tie the game at one. The rest of regulation would pass by without a goal. In the first overtime period, DePaul retained possession for most of the time and forced two saves by Nota. The second overtime saw the Pirates turn the tides and take control of the game offensively. They attempted four shots compared to DePaul’s one, however none found the back of the net. Both teams finished with 16 shot attempts, with the Pirates getting 9 on goal and the Blue Demons getting seven. The Pirates were booked on one yellow card, whereas DePaul received three. Seton Hall will return to action on Oct. 12 as the team takes on Providence University at Owen T. Carroll Field. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. Joseph Ippolito can be reached at or on Twitter @joeippy.


Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 The Setonian