Pirates blanked in Big East opener

The Seton Hall women’s soccer team was defeated, 3-0, by DePaul University on Saturday afternoon in its first Big East game of the season. Despite the loss and surrendering three goals, Seton Hall’s defense played well. “Defense comes first and then we look for ways to attack,” head coach Rick Stainton said. “Today we got exposed in some different areas. We tried to say if our attack got better it will help out our defenders, our defenders had a lot of pressure.” [caption id="attachment_24161" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The match appeared to be even until DePaul took over possession early in the first half. Pirates goalkeeper Anna MacLean was forced to make countless plays to keep the game even. With five minutes left in the first, though, DePaul struck to get on the board first. DePaul’s goal seemed to light a fire for the Pirates, as they took over possession for the remainder of the half. Right as time was running out, Seton Hall rang a shot off the crossbar. The Pirates went into halftime down by one but with momentum on their side. The momentum from the first half carried over through the break as the Pirates came out firing. Within the first ten minutes of the second half, the Pirates registered their first shot on goal of the day. Seton Hall continued to stuggle with finishing its shots, which allowed DePaul to regain possession and score another goal. The Blue Demons continued to put pressure on the defense, but MacLean was able to keep the Pirates in the game. “Anna continues to be the backbone,” Stainton said. “She is someone who comes up big.” The Pirates started to gain possession again with 14 minutes left but were still having trouble converting on their chances. The team looked like it had a chance to cut the Blue Demons lead in half until DePaul scored their third goal of the game with just over six minutes remaining. In total, the Pirates were outshot 15-7 and only managed to get three shots on goal. The Pirates will be back in action Thursday, Sept. 27 against Butler as they seek their first win against a Big East opponent in 2018. Brittany Tomore can be reached at Brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.