Pirates even series against Creighton behind strong outing from Devito

The Seton Hall Pirates baseball team took home its ninth Big East win of the season on Saturday night, edging Creighton by a final of 2-1. It was a great game for fans who love pitching, as Seton Hall sophomore Ricky Devito turned 6.2 innings of five-hit ball in the victory. The Pirates now stand at 22-16-1 (9-2). Creighton was able to get on the board first, after a one out RBI double by Ryan Mantle allowed the Bluejays to take an early 1-0 lead. Seton Hall was able to retire the next two batters, however, to end the Creighton scoring threat. [caption id="attachment_23228" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The Pirates were able to even things up in the top of the fourth inning. Mike Alescio started with a leadoff double and advanced to third on a throwing error. Ryan Ramiz flied out on the next play to right field, but it proved to be a deep enough to allow to tag up Alescio and score to tie the game up at one run apiece. Tyler Shedler-McAvoy singled on the next play, but Creighton was able to escape without any further damage. The game stayed at 1-1 until Seton Hall took the lead in the top of the sixth inning. Alescio worked a walk with one out and stole second base a few pitches later. Ramiz and Shedler-McAvoy were both walked as well, loading the bases. Creighton went to the bullpen and turned to Grant Spranger, who struck out Casey Dana, but then walked in a run, giving the Pirates took a 2-1 lead. Creighton loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh inning, but the Pirates were able to work themselves out of the jam. Leading the way for Seton was were Alescio with two hits and two runs, Shedler-McAvoy with two hits, and the combined pitching effort of Devito, Corey Sawyer, and Matt Leon. The Pirates return to action for the rubber match of the series on Sunday, May 6 at 1 p.m. Mat Mlodzinski can be reached at matthew.mlodzinski@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Mlodzinski_15.