SHU baseball reigns in All-Big East first and second team honors

[caption id="attachment_14532" align="aligncenter" width="660"]via SHU Athletics via SHU Athletics[/caption] Seton Hall baseball players Derek Jenkins and Shane McCarthy were named to the All-Big East First Team Tuesday. In addition, Cullen Dana and Zach Weigel were named to the All-Big East Second Team. All-Big East results were determined by the conference’s seven head coaches, with each coach not able to vote for their own teams. A senior, Jenkins has done it all for his team this season. A speedster, his 52 stolen bases and average of 0.98 steals per game currently lead the nation. The outfielder also plays a big part in production, as Jenkins ranks second in the Big East in hits (69), third in runs (42) and sixth in RBIs (35). He was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll once this season. Alongside Jenkins on the All-Big East First team is sophomore McCarthy. The highlight of the season came at the hands of McCarthy, as he pitched a perfect game at home against LIU-Brooklyn on April 15, notching eight strikeouts and needing just 88 pitches. McCarthy put up a 6-4 record in the regular season with a team-best 2.30 ERA. He leads the Big East in strikeouts (80) and his ERA is good for second in the conference. McCarthy was named Big East Pitcher of the Week three times and to the Weekly Honor Roll once this year. Reigning in the All-Big East Second Team honors are Dana and Weigel. A freshman, Dana put up a strong outing in his first collegiate year on the mound. He was second on the team in ERA (2.75) with a 7-2 record. Dana’s seven wins rank second in the Big East, while his .201 opponent batting average is also good for second in the conference. This season, Dana was named Big East Pitcher of the Week twice and to the Weekly Honor Roll once. In his senior season, Weigel has been a player his team can rely on in big moments. His .327 regular season batting average leads his team, and his .382 conference batting average leads the Big East. His hits (26) and on-base percentage (.470) in conference play also lead the Big East, and his 40 walks on the season rank 58th nationally. For his performances, Weigel was named Big East Player of the Week and to the Weekly Honor Roll once this season. Seton Hall baseball will look to these players to continue their dominant play going into the Big East Tournament. Taking place in Aberdeen, Maryland, No. 3-seeded Seton Hall will start by facing No. 2-seeded Creighton in the first round of the tournament on Thursday, May 26 at 7 p.m. The Pirates will go on to play No. 1 Xavier or No. 4 St. John’s on Friday, May 27. Elizabeth Swinton can be reached by email at elizabeth.swinton@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @eswint22.