SHU baseball heading to Big East Tournament after win over Butler

[caption id="attachment_14501" align="alignnone" width="660"] via Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall Men’s baseball team entered Friday's matinee game one win shy from finding their way back into the Big East Tournament. The Pirates took care of their own fate with a strong 7-3 win over the Butler Bulldogs. With the The Pirates took care of their own fate with a strong 7-3 win over the Butler Bulldogs. With the win, the Pirates clinched a trip to the tournament and, with the help of a Creighton 8-2 win over the Red Storm, the Pirates jump into the third spot out of four teams. With the With the win, the Pirates will enter a stress-free season finale with an outcome that will have no impact on playoff positioning. The Pirates crossed the plate first in the third inning after Mikael-Ali Mogues hit a leadoff single and was moved over on a sacrifice bunt. With two outs, Seton Hall's Chris Chiaradio tripled to deep center field and brought in the first run. He would go 3-5 on the day. Both teams would score in the fourth inning but the game opened up for the Pirates after Mike Aleciso posted a two-run triple to extend The Hall's lead. Two more Pirates would score later in the inning and another run would come in the ninth. On the mound for the Pirates was junior Zach Prendergast. The upperclassman held the Bulldogs off of the scoreboard until relieving a run in the fourth inning. With a 6-1 lead entering the seventh, the Pirates surrendered two runs and then another in the eighth. SHU closer Zach Schellenger entered the game with a two-run lead and finished off the first two batters. Then Tyler Huston of the Bulldogs reached on an infield single and would later score. After letting another two runners on base and a wild pitch to advance the Bulldogs into scoring position, Schellenger calmed down by throwing a high fastball past a check-swinging Bulldog for his team-leading sixth save of the season. The Pirates will be back in action Saturday against the Bulldogs for their 2016 regular season finale in Indianapolis. First pitch is scheduled for noon. Bryant McInerney can be contacted by email at bryant.mcinerney@student.shu.edu.