Big East play now underway for three SHU sports

[caption id="attachment_11182" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] Volleyball goes 1-1 in first two conference games On the court, the Seton Hall volleyball team has found its rhythm entering conference play following matches with Creigh- ton and Georgetown. The Pirates sit with a 7-7 over- all record and are 1-1 in the Big East with the team’s fiirst two contests behind them. One of the main struggles the Pirates have had to overcome this season has been playing consistently. “One of our biggest things has been consistency,” head coach Allie Yeager said about the team’s playing style. “If I’m consistent with them, I expect consisten- cy in return. I think that’s one
thing we’re going to struggle with this year. We need to be consis- tent, and the games we lost so far this year, we’re not passing well or we’re not in system. But, the games that we are doing well in and that we win, we’re passing well and being consistent.” In their Big East debut, the Pirates fell in four sets to Creighton. Just two days later, they traveled to Washington D.C. to pick up their first conference win in a five- set victory over Georgetown. “Just heading into Big East matches, we watch a little more film, but otherwise it’s the same as non-conference games,” Yaeger said. “That’s what the preseason is for, to have the non-conference games and get ready for the Big East matchups.”
Last season, the team had an impressive 15-3 record at home. At this point in the season, Seton Hall is undefeated in home matches and will look to keep that streak going when the team has their Big East home openers this weekend against DePaul on Friday and Marquette on Saturday. “We love Walsh Gym,” Yaeger said. “We can’t wait to get back here. It’s a totally different atmosphere and attitude here. It’s dif- ferent when you’re on the road and traveling as opposed to your own gym and your own fans. We have a winning record at home for the past few years and I expect that to be the same year this year.”
    Men's soccer falls to nation's top team in Big East opener
This past weekend the men’s soccer team went back and forth with a Big East rival to start con- ference play, but ultimately lost out. [caption id="attachment_11183" align="alignright" width="465"]Katie Cahalin/Staff Photographer Katie Cahalin/Staff Photographer[/caption]   On Saturday, the Pirates took on the No. 1 team in the nation, the Creighton Bluejays, at Owen T. Carroll Field. The Pirates led the Bluejays 2-1 at one point in the match with help of a goal from Danny Bartok, but the Bluejays came back to finish the game 4-2. The season has been tough so far, with the team still winless at a 0-6-1 record. The Pirates have allowed a total of 18 goals while only scoring seven so far this season. “It’s got to be better,” head coach Gerson Echeverry said after the loss to Creighton. “It’s just not good enough right now. In every aspect. Defensively, it’s not good enough. Offensively, we need to make sure that we put our chances away. And we have to keep pos- session of the ball. So all around it’s not good enough because we haven’t won a game.” The Pirates definitely had the toughest first Big East opponent in Creighton, but they are no stranger to putting in their all against the top teams in the con- ference. In conference play last season, the team came out victo- rious over Georgetown, which at the time was the No. 3 team in the country. Coming off this past weekend,
the Pirates keep conference play rolling when St. John’s comes to the Hall this Saturday. “We saw the toughest competition we’re going to see,” junior captain Shawn Morrison said af- ter Saturday’s loss. “So if we go into the next game with the same mindset as this game, we’ll be ready to earn a lot of wins.” The Pirates still have eight Big East games and one non-conference game left to pick up a win and possibly qualify for the Big East Tournament, which begins Nov. 8.
“It’s a long season,” Morrison said. “I think we’re still in this. There’s still a shot.”

Women bested by St. John’s on the road
Women’s soccer opened con- ference play over the weekend when the team traveled to Queens to take on neighboring rival St. John’s. The Pirates fell 3-0 against the 9-1 Red Storm. “The Big East is considered a power conference in women’s soc- cer,” second-year head coach Rick Stainton said in regard to opening conference play against such a talented pool of teams. “It is ex- tremely competitive with a great balance of athleticism, brawn and soccer savviness.” [caption id="attachment_11186" align="alignleft" width="452"]Kristen Berezniak/Staff Photographer Kristen Berezniak/Staff Photographer[/caption]   The Pirates have gone through different struggles this season so far. They sit at a 1-7-2 record, with their only win coming in a double-overtime battle against Al- bany. On the offensive side, they have had trouble scoring. On the defensive side, it has been hard for them to keep their focus. “We need to compete for all 90 minutes,” Stainton said. “Teams
have capitalized on moments where we lost focus for a bit. We have proven that we are capable of stringing together moments of very good soccer against great op- ponents. However, we must sus- tain that level over longer periods of time and as a collective whole.” On Thursday night, Seton Hall has its first home Big East match against Marquette, which won its first conference game over Creighton, 5-1. After the home debut, the Blue and White will get ready to travel to Chicago for a Sunday contest against the De- Paul Blue Demons. “We want to face all oppo- nents prepared and ready to com- pete,” Stainton said. “In general, we prepare by watching film and gathering notes on the opponent. We then create a game plan that we implement. We share this in- formation with the team through training sessions as well as in team meetings.”

Olivia Mulvihill can be reached at olivia.mulvihill@sudent.shu.edu or on twitter @OliviaMulvihill.