SHU volleyball drops Big East opener to Creighton

[caption id="attachment_11129" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall volleyball team opened its Big East season with a 3-1 loss on the road to the Creighton Bluejays Friday night. After losing the first set, Seton Hall rallied to win the second set to tie it up at 1-1. However, the rally was not enough as the Pirates lost the next two sets 25-18 and 25-22, respectively. Danielle Schroeder led the way for the Pirates with 11 kills and six digs. Cherise Hennigan also contributed to the Pirates offensive attack with nine kills. Tessa Fournier also contributed for the Pirates, racking up a game-high 19 digs. After dropping third set and going down 2-1, Seton Hall had an opportunity to take the third set. Late into the set it was tied 20-20, but the Pirates were not able to keep up with the Bluejays and dropped the set 25-22 to end the match. The Pirates had an issue stopping Lauren Smith, Jaali Winters, Taryn Kloth and Marysa Wilkinson, all of whom had double-digit kills in the match. Smith and Winters led the way with 14 and 13 kills, respectively. Kenzie Crawford also chipped in for the Bluejays, collecting a team-high 16 digs. For the Pirates, their downfall was committing errors. The Hall committed eight serving errors and three blocking errors throughout the match. The Hall will be back in action on Sunday as the team continues its Big East road trip in Washington, D.C., against Georgetown at 2 p.m. Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @matthewrachek