Pirates cross country teams see top five success for second straight week

[caption id="attachment_10830" align="alignnone" width="620"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall cross country teams stayed strong in their second meet of the year at the Delaware Invitational on Saturday, with both the men and women finishing in the top five for the second straight week. The men’s team took home a third-place finish out of nine teams running while the women’s team finished fourth out of 11 teams in the field. The Pirates traveled to the Delaware Invitational for the second season in a row, and for the second year in a row, the men’s side took home a top-three finish. TCNJ took home the overall team title, sweeping the top-five. Junior Victor Ricci led the way for the Pirates, finishing ninth for his second top-20 finish in as many races. Sophomore Louis Bustamante wasn’t far behind, finishing in 12th place, one spot better than his finish at Monmouth last weekend. Sophomore Bryant Cordova and junior Sean Kip ran across the line only five seconds apart to earn 18th- and 19th-place finishes, respectively. The top four finishers on the men’s side each earned their second top-20 finish on the young season, with Ricci picking up his first top-10 of the season. The women’s team did not fare as well as the men, placing only three runners in the top 20 with no runners finishing in the top 10. Senior Amanda Quaglia was the first Pirates’ runner to cross the finish line, coming in 13th place. Saturday’s race marked Quaglia’s second top-20 finish in a row. Freshman Kiley Britten continued to impress for the Pirates, tallying her second top-20 finish in a row with a 17th-place finish, improving by two positions over her race last week at Monmouth. Junior Desyre Blackburn rounded out the top-three finishers for the Hall with a 20th-place finish, improving by nine positions in the second race of the season. The Pirates will be back on the course at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 19, when they travel to the Cappy Anderson Invitational hosted by the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Kevin Huebler can be reached at kevin.huebler@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Hueblerkevin