SHU survives in Big East Baseball Tourney

[caption id="attachment_10384" align="aligncenter" width="803"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] Seton Hall will live to see another day after their 5-1 win over the Georgetown Hoyas on Friday. The loss eliminated the Hoyas from the Big East Tournament. It was Anthony Elia who led the Pirates to victory as he pitched a complete game. The senior allowed just four hits, one run and struck out a career-high nine batters. The Hoyas’ starter, Matt Hollenbeck, only went 4 innings and allowed three runs on three hits. Ultimately, Georgetown’s offense did far too little to handle the Pirates. The Hall fell behind early when Elia let up a leadoff home run to Hoyas’ shortstop Ryan Busch, but that was the only run Elia would allow. The Pirates got the run right back in the bottom of the first when D.J. Ruhlman scored from third on a wild pitch by Hollenbeck. The Pirates then took the 3-1 lead in the bottom of the fourth inning due to a triple from Ryan Ramiz. He then scored off a wild pitch for the inning’s second run. Seton Hall then tacked on another run in the fifth when Sal Annunziata hit a solo home run to left field. Seton Hall would then tack on one more run in the seventh with a double off the bat of Zack Weigel. That would be all the support Elia would need. The Pirates will be back at it Saturday when they take on the loser of Friday night’s Saint John’s vs. Creighton matchup. The Pirates lost both regular season series to both teams. With Elia and Shane McCarthy having pitched the first two games of the tournament, head coach Rob Sheppard will have sophomore starters Zack Prendergast and Anthony Pacillo to choose from. First pitch is set for 4:30 p.m. at TD Ameritrade Park.