Moses throws complete game as Pirates complete sweep

[caption id="attachment_10182" align="aligncenter" width="628"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Pirates softball team defeated Georgetown 5-1 on Saturday to complete the doubleheader sweep and clinch the No. 3 seed in next week’s Big East Championships in Rosemont, Chicago. The Hall was led by senior starting pitcher Casey Moses who threw a complete game, only allowing one run. Moses had it all working for the Pirates as they improved their Big East record to 10-9. After a hard first inning by Moses, it was the top of the Pirates’ lineup that came through as Yasmin Harrell led things off with a single to center, and was moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Whitney Jones. Freshman sensation Alex Walkden stepped to the plate, and on a 2-2 pitch hit a double to right scoring Harrell. “I saw a pitch I could hit out over the plate and I went that way with it." Walkden said. "It felt good off the bat. I am happy it got us off to a good start and we never really looked back.” Following the double senior Sara Haefeli singled up the middle, scoring Walkden and giving the Pirates a 2-0 lead. Harrell added an RBI groundout in the fourth inning to score Jackie DiPietro from third base, who walked and later advanced to second on a single by Moses. DiPietro struck again in the sixth inning with an RBI single to bring in junior Faith Laudano, who doubled to start off the inning. Chelsea Caynon tacked on an RBI single in the sixth inning as well to provide insurance for the Pirates. Moses went back to work and shut down the Hoyas in the seventh inning, giving the Pirates the sweep. It was the first complete game for Moses this season, as well as her fourth win. The Hall’s five runs were driven in by five different players and nine Pirates recorded at least one hit in the contest. “It feels great to be able to come in and sweep the doubleheader.” Walkden said. “We came into today knowing we needed to take two out of three from Georgetown to clinch and we had a complete team effort today. We are really happy we were able to do it on the first day.” Senior first baseman Whitney Jones was also happy with the team's sweep. “It is very exciting to experience another Big East birth, especially with this group of ladies.” she said. Jones was the hero in Game 1 with a game-winning single, knocking in Val Suto in the 11th inning. The Pirates’ will be back in action on Sunday for Senior Day as they complete the three game series with the Hoyas and honor seniors, Jones, Danielle DeStaso, Jordan Moses, Casey Moses, Sara Haefeli, Sam DeMasi, and Kaylyn Sanbower. Senior Ceremonies will begin at 11:30.