Seton Hall baseball smashes St. John’s in series finale

The Pirates defeat the Red Storm 19-4 in the series finale of the three game set in Queens this weekend. The most runs the Hall have scored in 11 years when they scored 20 against Villanova. The Pirates (17-12, 4-2) started off fast with a two-run home run in the second and the Hall never looked back scoring their 19 runs on 14 hits. The Pirates took control in the fourth by scoring seven runs, five of them with two outs. Three of the five runs were scored by walks. The inning was remarkable by having 13 batters hit in the fourth and taking a 9-1 advantage at the end of the inning. The day belonged to Sal Annunziata, who went 4-5 at the plate and hit his team-leading 4th home run. He reached base five times. Annuziata had been struggling with his bat so far this season, hitting under .200, but came to life today with the home run and 3 RBI’s. Zach Schellenger pitched five solid innings just allowing the four runs to score. He improves to 2-1 on the season. Five relieves came in to finish off the game for the Pirates and hold St. Johns scoreless just allowing two hits after Schellenger came out of the game. Ryan Ramiz came in as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning, but got on base 3 times. He went 2-2 with a double, a walk, and four RBI’s. The Red Storm came within one in the bottom of the third on a sacrifice fly by Zach Lauricella, but were unable to keep up with high octane offense of the Hall. The Storm were able to had three more runs in the fifth, but were already down too big of a hole to even have a chance of making a comeback. The Pirates will next take the field on Tuesday against Monmouth at Owen T. Carrol Field.