Falconi homers in in loss to Rutgers

[caption id="attachment_10037" align="aligncenter" width="746"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Pirates baseball team fell 4-2 to Rutgers on Saturday in the second of a three-game series with the Scarlett Knights. After falling to at home to Rutgers 3-2 on Friday, the Pirates looked for revenge in Piscataway. Senior catcher Alex Falconi went yard for his first dinger of the year, but it wasn’t enough to defeat SHU’s in-state rival. With the loss, freshman pitcher Shane McCarthy drops down to an even 4-4 on the season. The righty allowed 10 hits in six innings of work, walking none and striking out a pair. Left-handed reliever Joe DiBenedetto replaced McCarthy and allowed just one hit in two innings. The sophomore extended his astounding streak of scoreless innings to 12.1. This game was a hiccup for McCarthy, who has been spectacular for the Pirates this year. He entered the weekend with a 1.71 ERA, lowest in the conference. Rutgers’ starter Howie Brey (2-9) threw seven innings, giving up just two runs on nine hits. He walked one and struck out three. SHU outfielder Derek Jenkins, a member of the 2014 All-BIG EAST First team, racked up three of his team’s 12 hits on the day. The speedster leads the conference in stolen bases by a large margin. No. 2 on that list, Xavier’s Andre Jernigan, is seven bases behind Jenkins. While he didn’t cause on havoc on the base paths on Saturday, he’s always a threat and make opposing pitchers pay especially close attention. Designated hitter Tyler Boyd and Falconi added two hits apiece. As noted by SHUPirates.com, Rutgers now leads the all-time series with Seton Hall 46-42. With Saturday’s loss, Seton Hall stands at 19-17 overall with a 5-4 conference record. The team will get another crack at the Scarlet Knights tomorrow at 3 p.m. when Zach Schellenger takes the bump against Rutgers’ Gaby Rosa at TD Bank Ballpark, the home stadium of the Somerset Patriots.