Pirate pride should rise and expand wtith SHU

Seton Hall University is expanding in so many ways and we should all be proud to be enrolled at such an exciting time.

First of all, the men’s basketball team is doing better than they’ve done in recent years. With a #24 ranking in the nation, the campus is buzzing with Pirate fever. Seton Hall is making a comeback in its status as a leading basketball power and we will most likely see an increase not only in school spirit, but in enrollment in the next few years. So, to the Pirate boys, good luck against DePaul tonight, we’re rooting for you!

Raising our athletic standing is not the only recent accomplishment. Academics are on the rise, as well. On Wednesday Jan. 14, the University announced that it will be teaming up with the Hackensack University Health Network (Hackensack UHN) to form a revived four-year medical school. Some have expressed concerns about the cost of building the medical school, but surrounding mayors should be overjoyed since this plan will only boost their economy. Not to mention that our University alone is going to reel in a lot of money once it opens. And, luckily enough, according to The Star Ledger, the new school is slated to open in 2017. Just two years away! It’s actually really impressive how quickly this new school will be up and running.

To some students who may not care at all whether Seton Hall has a medical school, you should think about two facts: the boost to the University’s finances which will be seen in all aspects of campus, and how much better it will look to put “graduate of Seton Hall University” on a resume after this expansion is complete. Whether or not you graduated as a student of medicine, the fact that Seton Hall will now have a medical school means we will be on an even playing field with other New Jersey universities that already have medical programs, such as Rutgers. With the men’s basketball skyrocketing to new heights of achievement and a medical school coming our way, everyone should be spewing Pirate Pride.