Letter to the Editor: thanks for coming

Dear Editor:

On behalf of the Department of Housing & Residence Life, I would like to take this opportunity to express my deep thanks for all who assisted in this year’s Boland Hall Fire Anniversary memorial events. I am grateful for all those victims of the fire and their family and friends who journeyed to be with us as we remember that day and honor those we lost.

We are thankful for the presence of our University President Dr. Gabriel Esteban & his wife, our Vice President for Student Services Dr. Tracy Gottlieb, the many members of our Priest Community, Campus Ministry, and members of the South Orange Fire Department who joined us. In particular I want to thank Fr. Gerald Buonopane for presiding at the mass and for the hope filled homily given by Monsignor C. Anthony Ziccardi, Vice President of Mission & Ministry.

As the director of housing & residence life I am blessed to have had the help of a large number of my professional staff in supporting several events throughout the day. Ms. Taryn Foy, Boland RHD; Mr. William Chalmers, Boland RC; Mr. Brian O’Malley, Apartments RHD , Mrs. Jessica Proano, Assistant Director for the First Year Experience and Mr. Michael Grajales, Complex RC were all instrumental in this important day.

Student leaders also supported our remembrance. Housing & Residence Life student staff in Boland Hall created a beautiful memorial bulletin board in the lobby of the building, the Boland RHD and RC in assisting in the screening of the film “After the Fire,” for members of our Greek Community, in the men of Alpha Chi Rho, who supported the Boland Fire Artifact display in the Pirates Cove and for The Gentlemen of the Hall performing “Amazing Grace” at the Remember Garden prayer service following the mass.

The service at the Remember Garden included the placing of candles around the stone by victims of the fire and family members of the men lost. When that prayer service was concluded, many – including Alvaro Llanos, Shawn Simons, burn victims of the fire and Mr. Karol (father of Aaron Karol) came into Boland and were so impressed and thankful for the bulletin board, which not only remembers the victims but promotes knowledge of fire safety.