Stop being a parasite to our planet

One of the perks of going to Seton Hall University definitely is the close vicinity to the NJ Transit train station where you are easily transported to the hustle and bustle of New York City, Hoboken, Jersey City, etc. For the job and internship opportunities, along with somewhere fun to go over the weekend, certaintly no one is complaining about this access.

However, how much polluted air can we stand to breathe in?

Even living in South Orange, it feels like there is no place to go where we see pure woodland.

The South Mountain Reservation in Essex County can be that place, offering hills, hiking, rivers, a waterfall…nature.

Not to go full Thoreau on you, but sometimes breaking from our urban lives is not only relaxing and fun, but necessary.

Surrounded by the confines of dormitory walls or going to an internship in a city clustered with tall buildings can be debilitating.

It’s good to flow clean air through the brain. Real clean air.

It is also important to realize that our planet is here only as long as we can preserve it.

Help the Reservation out. Go to cleanup groups. If you cannot go to South Mountain, start at Seton Hall. When you see trash on the Green or on a sidewalk, throw it out.

Also, start by separating recyclables on campus. It is horrifying to see trash in a recyclable bin when there is a bin for trash right next to it.

Are people really just that lazy or is it ignorance?

The reality is, if trash is put in a recyclable bin, it is not recycled and another resource of earth can be considered dead.

Unless scientists are able to find another unknown planet out there able to sustain our life, Earth is all we have.

And Earth is dying.

Slowly, we as humans, are eating up every last resource it has. We all can help by doing little things every day: put garbage where it belongs, separate recyclables, throw away cigarette butts, when you see trash on the ground, pick it up.

It’s really that simple.